Sunday, September 16, 2012

September: Featured Goth in Glasses

Good evening, goths, visually impaired goths, visually impaired non-goths, and non-goths just here for the good pictures!

I've had the fabulous opportunity for some one-on-one Q&A with one of my all-time favorite goths who just so happens to wear glasses! The talented and creative Ms. Kaira Th1rte3n was so gracious to answer a few questions about her own eyewear and dark sense of fashion.



Kaira Th1rte3n of Th1rte3n's Closet has been in the market of creating fun and morbid accessories for quite some time now. Her etsy shop has been up and running since 2008. There you will find a delightful spread of bows, earrings, Xmas ornaments, scrunchies, Deadly Bears, and the increasingly popular "BatPacks." Ms. Th1rte3n occupies a booth every year at Bat's Day Black Market in California. Fun side fact: she has been an assistant to Voltaire and his booth at DesignerCon- that's right, *the* Voltaire! She also now has her very own website for her creations-- Th1rte3n's Closet




Th1rte3n's Closet is a company where you can find all sorts of one of a kind and hand made items made by artist Th1rte3n. Deadly Bears are one of a kind hand made teddy bears with a dead twist. All Deadly Bears are dead, undead, vampire, or zombie.



Of course, I could be a bit biased, since she happens to cater to the tastes of a certain gothic optician.


  

Sea: How long have you been wearing glasses?  
Kaira: Since I was 2 1/2 years old.

S: How long have you considered yourself a goth?  
K: WOW, that is kinda a trick question. I started diving into the goth sub-culture at 15 but didnt conside myself goth. (I had a hard time with putting a label on myself) It wasn't until I was 17 that I embraced the label and started calling myself a goth.


 

S: What's your favorite music?  
K: I love a lot of types of goth music, like darkwave, deathrock, Industrial, Dark Cabaret , and steampunk, but I also love music like normal Cabaret, Musicals, and Punk music.

S: What's your favorite accessory?  
K: I love earrings! All types of earrings.





S: Favorite goth cliche:
K: All goths wear black, I mean we do, but I wear LOTS more than just black



S: Most disliked goth cliche:  
K: That we are all stuck up. Yes, its true, many are stuck up, but many aren't; many are so nice, and smile more then frown.
 
 

S:  Favorite style of glasses:  
K: WINGED glasses! With gems if you can find them! :) But they're so hard to find when ever I am looking for glasses.

S: Favorite famous goth:
K: Voltaire!!! He's the man! 




S: Speaking of Voltaire, what was it like getting to meet him personally?
K: He's a really nice guy, and cares about his fans, too. He takes the time to get to know his fans. In fact, he remembers me when I see him, (That's always something to make a fan smile. ) so he has become more than just a idol to me, he is also a role model, as I now take the time to get to know my customers and try my best to always remember them.


S: Favorite person who wears glasses:
K: My two best friends, they more than often keep me sane and are always there for me.

A trio of spectacled beauties in black--what's not to love?


S: Got any stories involving your glasses?
K: A few years ago on World Goth Day, I was going out with some friends to the Bar Sinister to have some fun. I was there and already had a few drinks, I was posing for a photo with some friends (I had my glasses in my hand, I took them off to show off my nice makeup job) when I tripped and landed on them and gave them a huge scratch along one lens. I had to wear them like that for over 2 months. Fiasco was the word for that situation.




S: So what made you decide to say "Okay, I'm going to start my own business" one fateful day? 
K: I really don't know what possessed me to think I could start my own business, must have been the hubby telling me I could-- I don't think I would have done it with out him.



S: What are some of the biggest challenges you've faced running your own business?
K: Starting your own business is hard. There are start up costs and fees and not to mention getting yourself out there. I have been doing this for four years and I still am not "out there" enough for my own liking. And it's always hard to get yourself out there. But if its your dream you must not give up. Hold on until the very end. 



S: Those are some very inspiring words! Are there any new products you plan on selling in the future?
K: OH yes! Oh so much is coming to the shop, including Day of the Dead necklaces, oh and a whole bunch of Harry Potter themed items, and way more.


S: As we wrap things up here, is there any advice you'd like to give to other spectacle wearers out there?
K: Wear your glasses if you want to. I have always been told about getting contacts, but if you're not comfortable in them-like I am not comfortable in them- be proud and wear your glasses with style.




So there you have it, readers- stylish and cool goths with refractive errors are out there, and it's my goal to introduce you to many more interesting and charming gothic gouls and boys each month. I chose Kaira to be my very first Featured Goth in Glasses not only because of her impressive sense of style, and because she is quite the savvy business woman, but because she's a very dear friend, and I'm exceedingly grateful to her for graciously answering my prying questions. (hehe) I have a few more goths (and goth-kind) lined up, but if you yourself are, or if you know a goth who wears glasses, be it only at home, or constantly, and would like to be a Featured Goth in Glasses, please let me know in the comments below.



Until next time my spookies,
Sea, the Gothic Optician A.B.O.C.

1 comment: