Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Quite the Spectacle! Eyewear-Related Body Mods

There's no denying that body mods are a huge part of gothic culture- heck, it's beginning to become part of many cultures; for that matter, it's been custom in countless cultures for millenia. Anymore it is increasingly common to see a wide range of inked and pierced individuals- from the bikers with the elaborate and striking tattoo sleeves, to the soccer mom with a tiny rose on her ankle, to the old man at the store with Navy markings on his forearms, to even the occasional sorority girl with a gold nose piercing.




 I myself have sported a few modifications; over the years I've had (and retired *sniff*) 11 piercings and just recently I got a tattoo, with which I am still very much enamored. I'm going to expand the one I have in a few weeks and who knows, I may get some things re-pierced.


Ear piercings, 2011.
Eyebrow piercing, 2010.
Tattoo outline, 2012.
Finished tattoo.






 I've come across two articles involving a marriage of body modification and eyewear. The first was a part of a presentation over spectacles in college; humorously enough, everyone looked at me during the this part of the lecture because I had *just* gotten 3 piercings that previous weekend. The second, however,  I actually found while perusing WTFtattoos.com. Yes, I do have some eclectic guilty pleasures.

This first mod, the pierced eye glasses, is one that I would actually get if not for the professional dress code requirements at work.. that and the availability at this point. I think this concept is absolutely brilliant and in theory would work well with the gothic aesthetic. 


 Nevertheless, it appears that these are still yet to be made available to the public.

And here is another link just for your reading pleasure. 

The second modification, however, ventures into a territory that I don't think I could tread personally.  I have mixed feelings about this one; it's not my cup of tea, but at the same time, I fully encourage this young man, and everyone else for that matter, to express himself in any way he chooses.

I must confess, he picked a good brand. Ray Ban's are super hot right now.



Thus far, these are the only instances I have found of some sort of combination of spectacles and mods. If anyone else knows of any others, please feel free to leave a comment.

Until Next Time,
Sea, the Gothic Optician, A.B.O.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment